Ever since I saw that volley (features in BBC article of top Euro moments here), I have been hooked on Holland. However, till now, they have been known as the best team never to win the World Cup. Till now. For 2006 looks like theirs. These are 11 reasons why they will win this World Cup:
- Robben will start passing the ball to others instead of doing it all himself, inspite of having the capacity to do that.
- Van der Vaart will fully recover and take the right flank.
- Dirk Kuyt and Ryan Babel need EPL or Primera Liga deals. What better time to showcase?
- Van Bommel will rediscover why he was sought by Barcelona. And not play like Claude Makelele or Joe Cole.
- Marco Van Basten will ask players not to spit on the German team a la friend Frank in 1990.
- Holland will finally win a close one against Brazil. Even if it means winning in a penalty shootout. This is because the tournament is in Germany.
- Italy will dominate their match against Holland and get two penalties. However, they will miss them and go on to lose in a penalty shootout.
- Miroslav Klose might be as boring as Gerd Muller, but there's no Beckenbauer, except for a symbol of moral support in the stands.
- Argentina will self-destruct. Van Bronckhorst will give a long pass to Van Nistelrooy in the penalty box. Van Nistelrooy will collect it with an excellent first touch, turn and shoot past the goalkeeper. Just like in 98.
- Before you forget, Holland defeated Czech Republic twice in qualifying. However, now that Ghana has shredded the veterans, probably this reason isn't good enough.
- I am wearing a Marco Van Basten jersey every match that Holland plays.