I used to sit on the 21st floor. Now I am retired

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

11 reasons for letting me go

I have kept this to myself till now, but now it's out* - I couldn't watch the match between Brazil and Croatia yesterday because I fell asleep early.

From what I have been hearing (and here), it's not that I missed much. However, I am an extremely faithful supporter of Brazil (and Holland) and will be punished soon, I know. One small mistake, a careless match, and bam! it will be Italia 1990 again.

Maybe Germany will beat Brazil (or Holland) this World Cup and win the whole damn tournament. Or maybe England will reach the semi-finals and Argentina won't. Or maybe Gary Neville will get elected best defender. Or maybe England will start understanding that memories of Stanley Matthews or George Best do not football in the 21st century make. Or maybe, the tabloids will wake up to the painful realism that Cheryl Tweedy and other blondes are passe and that they should cover the matches instead.

Worst case scenarios are flashing through my mind. Hence, I have decided to repent. Or at least give Santa 11 reasons for letting me go scot-free.
  1. I buy jerseys from Colaba Causeway so that I can buy as many of them as possible and yet have never bought a jersey of a team I didn't support, leave alone not know. This in contrast to the rest of Bombay who don't know a Barcelona from a Bayern Munich but wear the original branded replicas.
  2. I travelled in Germany wearing a Holland jersey during a friendly between the two countries in 2003. Holland won.
  3. I made the predictions for the quarter-finals of this World Cup, before the draw was made.
  4. I once played as a libero in school football and provided the cross for the tying goal on my only move to the opponent's penalty box.
  5. I have just watched the Tunisia vs. Saudi Arabia match and enjoyed it a lot.
  6. I have bunked work during summer internship to go watch Brazil beat China in 2002. For good measure, I consumed a lot of beer.
  7. I own a Marco Van Basten jersey and think he made the greatest volley in football history.
  8. I think the previous sentence has all the relevant information and don't need to clarify.
  9. I have prayed outside the Nou Camp and this year my prayers were answered.
  10. I am a Bong. Need I say more?
  11. Finally, I know a Cheryl Tweedy from Susana Werner from a Helen Svedin, and am proud of it.
* Another story - There was a football addict called D. He had no skill whatsoever in football and thus, was immensely happy that he was born in India. He could face the peer pressure confidently.
Having said that, he was especially proficient at drinking lots of beer while watching football and at staying awake to watch the Champion's League matches. Sometimes though, he would read a book or something to stay awake.
One Wednesday in January 2004, it all came crashing down. He came home to his house after a hard day's work. He switched on the TV to watch the League and saw some aerobics playing out instead. He looked at the watch, impatient for the match to start. It was 3:45. The match was over.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hello

i just discovered a ground close to my place, and played some footer last sunday (after ages)

join me this weekend?

Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:07:00 AM

 
Blogger corporate whore said...

Tch, tch DK2. You slept. Let me paraphrase that. You slept. When Brazil was playing! Admitted that they didn’t play too well, it was worth watching the Croats led by Prso kicking some samba ass. As for santa forgiving you need to work a lot more on points 1, 3, 4 and a very defensive point number 10.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:11:00 AM

 
Blogger dhoomketu said...

Saint, I have been playing basketball for some days now and feel a distinct lack of stamina.. Can't see how I can do football.

Corp Whore, it's not defensive at all. Let me remind you of millions of Bong brothers who will descend upon you. This is not Gujjus we are talking about here (here I go again)

Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:49:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A) Ever since V for Values informed me today you ppl have been playing basketball everyday for the past few days, I've been feeling very jealous ... should quickly return to a bombay study and hope u all don't get off bombay studies.

B) Compared to die hard fans, I can only claim to have dabbled in soccermania .. and I can't honestly claim to have understood most of your 11 things .. but here are my '2 grams'

I too enjoyed the Tunisia vs Saudi Arabia match

I so so wanted Croatia to win the match against Brazil .. man, what's the fun in a world cup if the top seeds win? All the fun lies in the upsets

Friday, June 16, 2006 2:38:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read 'Ever since V for Values informed me today' as 'Ever since V for Values informed me'

Friday, June 16, 2006 2:44:00 AM

 
Blogger maverick said...

seond point 10. :)
and yes, its a tragedy that brazil made lots of people fall asleep. their neighbours are cracking it and brazil would be losing some sleep on that!

Saturday, June 17, 2006 9:34:00 AM

 

<< Home

 
Site Meter Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers