11 reasons for letting me go
I have kept this to myself till now, but now it's out* - I couldn't watch the match between Brazil and Croatia yesterday because I fell asleep early.
From what I have been hearing (and here), it's not that I missed much. However, I am an extremely faithful supporter of Brazil (and Holland) and will be punished soon, I know. One small mistake, a careless match, and bam! it will be Italia 1990 again.
Maybe Germany will beat Brazil (or Holland) this World Cup and win the whole damn tournament. Or maybe England will reach the semi-finals and Argentina won't. Or maybe Gary Neville will get elected best defender. Or maybe England will start understanding that memories of Stanley Matthews or George Best do not football in the 21st century make. Or maybe, the tabloids will wake up to the painful realism that Cheryl Tweedy and other blondes are passe and that they should cover the matches instead.
Worst case scenarios are flashing through my mind. Hence, I have decided to repent. Or at least give Santa 11 reasons for letting me go scot-free.
- I buy jerseys from Colaba Causeway so that I can buy as many of them as possible and yet have never bought a jersey of a team I didn't support, leave alone not know. This in contrast to the rest of Bombay who don't know a Barcelona from a Bayern Munich but wear the original branded replicas.
- I travelled in Germany wearing a Holland jersey during a friendly between the two countries in 2003. Holland won.
- I made the predictions for the quarter-finals of this World Cup, before the draw was made.
- I once played as a libero in school football and provided the cross for the tying goal on my only move to the opponent's penalty box.
- I have just watched the Tunisia vs. Saudi Arabia match and enjoyed it a lot.
- I have bunked work during summer internship to go watch Brazil beat China in 2002. For good measure, I consumed a lot of beer.
- I own a Marco Van Basten jersey and think he made the greatest volley in football history.
- I think the previous sentence has all the relevant information and don't need to clarify.
- I have prayed outside the Nou Camp and this year my prayers were answered.
- I am a Bong. Need I say more?
- Finally, I know a Cheryl Tweedy from Susana Werner from a Helen Svedin, and am proud of it.
Having said that, he was especially proficient at drinking lots of beer while watching football and at staying awake to watch the Champion's League matches. Sometimes though, he would read a book or something to stay awake.
One Wednesday in January 2004, it all came crashing down. He came home to his house after a hard day's work. He switched on the TV to watch the League and saw some aerobics playing out instead. He looked at the watch, impatient for the match to start. It was 3:45. The match was over.