I used to sit on the 21st floor. Now I am retired

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Omkara Review

I still haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on it yet*.

However, I must point out a few sentences in Aditya Sinha's review of the movie in Hindustan Times, Delhi today.

"You'd think Hindi heartland gangland violence will definitely be more interesting that the Venetian-Turkish wars Shakespeare set his play in." also means I have no idea of that war, and I need to look cool and informed nevertheless.

"So if the violence sucks, how's the sex? Given that Othello revolves around Iago poisoning Othello's mind with suspicions of Desdemona's adultery, there ought to be a fair amount of it." also means I went in expecting a skin-flick. The last movie on adultery I remember had Mallika Sherawat and Emraan Hashmi.

"What's worth the price of admission is Bipasha Basu.... Not only is she a pure animal, but she is also an underrated actor. She's so naughty, you want to go back to the HT gym, get a toned body, beat the hell out of John Abraham and then... spank her." Means let me slip in my adolescent fantasy here. Am sure that the editor will remove it before it goes to print. Otherwise I am in trouble with John Abraham and my mother.

"Kareena seems suited for the role - she doesn't look fat and old like Preity Zinta, and looks marginally less demented than Esha Deol - but she cannot emote." means since I can't sound clever about anyone's acting (even someone as bad as Kareena), let me at least take digs at Preity Zinta and Esha Deol. Controversial is better than clever.

Nothing more to say. It's been that kind of a day.

*Actually, that is not reason enough for me.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

even the great taran adarsh has given his approval, so this ht guy can go drown himself

Saturday, July 29, 2006 10:25:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dhoom,

Nice fisking. But wait till Ms. plagiarism puts her review on sunday! I am sure she will surpass even this dolt.

Ramesh,

Great Taran adarsh? Hmmmmm

Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:25:00 AM

 
Blogger dhoomketu said...

Ramesh, yes, great Taran Adarsh? Hmmmmm. Actually, I don't have an issue with the negative take. For that I need to watch the film.

Confused, I stay away from TOI on weekends. Stick to Mumbai Mirror, actually!

Sunday, July 30, 2006 9:50:00 AM

 
Blogger corporate whore said...

Actually the weakest part of the movie is the casting. Remove bipasha, kareena and Ajay devgan and the job's done. Maqbool had such an awesome cast.

Also since its not such a strong play, it tends to get a little slow. Also what the hell were Rajasthani accents doing in the middle of UP.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 9:12:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not Taran but Tarun Adarsh.

Here's his review:
http://www.indiafm.com/movies/review/12773/index.html

And here's Uma's fine frisking of it:
http://indianwriting.blogsome.com/2006/08/06/hot-words-cold-sweat/

Sunday, August 06, 2006 12:24:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, it indeed is Taran. i do need some sleep now

Sunday, August 06, 2006 12:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Aps said...

With, lots of load of writing reviews, I guess these people might be often asking their friends,' Aye yaar bata na movie main kya tha ek review likhna hai'

The best part is the one "She's so naughty, you want to go back to the HT gym,...". :))

Monday, August 07, 2006 11:14:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why was 'Omkara' dark most of the time? What's the point of a movie when you can't SEE a thing?
How was the movie? I don't know, I could not see it. The screen was dark!!
If anyone is making a movie, please make sure we can WATCH it.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:35:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers