I used to sit on the 21st floor. Now I am retired

Friday, March 31, 2006

Why Me?

I got tagged by Maverick some time back. So, here I am - revealing deep, dark secrets. However, since I am too lazy to write out all the answers now, I am revealing them a few answers at a time. Will append when I think of others. By the way, if anyone has any suggestions for the list, please let me know.

WARNING: What follows is terribly self-indulgent and I can't see why anyone would want to read this, or even write an entire list like this.

Seven things to do before I die:
  • Watch World Cup Final, preferably Holland vs. Germany/ Argentina. Holland wins 5-2. By the way, there's only one 'World Cup', which is football.
  • Revive one magazine from the 1980s or 1990s. Top contenders now are Gentleman or Target
  • Learn to play bridge and poker.
  • Teach. Preferably as a profession and not as a hobby. Now if only they would take out correcting the papers bit.
  • ...
  • ..
  • .

Seven things I can't do:
  • Snap my fingers, and hence had to go for the toilet or water cooler, to avoid embarassment, whenever my teacher wanted to sing this silly nursery rhyme.
  • Drive legally or properly. I don't have a license, nor did I go beyond two-three runs on the road with my father. Obviously, I turn this into my advantage by pretending to be environmentally friendly (on my bicycle), one with the masses (in buses) and cool (while hitch-hiking)
  • Eat vegetarian food for more than three days at a time. Like all men having a Bengali Brahmin heritage, there are two things I know about food - One, always eat in the first batch in any communal buffet or sit-down dinner and Two, focus on protein, which in my case, comes from desserts made from milk (Bengali sweets) and meat (lamb or chicken or mutton or beef or pork or fish or squid or prawn or...)
  • ....
  • ...
  • ..
  • .

Seven things that attract me to Europe:
  • Autumn, when every photograph looks like a Manet.
  • Sausages, of all types. Though the favourite is Bratwurst. Incidentally, bratwurst goes very well with haryali kababs. I did that once with a part of the 5 kg load that I brought back from Germany.
  • Beer, a different ale served in every city/ town. Favourites include Kölsch and Weissenbier. Lowenbrau rocks, though no beer purist will say this.
  • The Two Cities in the Tale, one of which I spent four magical days in, and the other which I have touched at Heathrow.
  • Cities which have stayed back in time. Brugge, Venice and Toledo
  • ..
  • .

Seven excellent books:
  • All Quiet on the Western Front
  • Left Hand of Darkness
  • .....
  • ....
  • ...
  • ..
  • .

Seven good movies:
  • Casablanca, just for that scene at Rick's, when the two songs fight against each other.
  • Katha, for the moment when Naseeruddin Shah finds out that Dipti Naval is actually in love with Farookh Shaikh. I can watch Naseer letting out nervous laughter to mask the heartbreak again and again.
  • .....
  • ....
  • ...
  • ..
  • .

People to tag:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sayesha said...

Hahahah! I could not snap my fingers till I was like sixteen, and this kind guy actually sat down with me patiently and taught me how to do it. :)

Saturday, April 01, 2006 5:28:00 AM

 
Blogger dhoomketu said...

I feel duped. I was told that you can't learn this. It's innate, I was told. How do I learn it now? Is this kind guy still around?

Saturday, April 01, 2006 6:14:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers