I used to sit on the 21st floor. Now I am retired

Monday, April 24, 2006

Am I a geek?

I am definitely not a nerd.
I am nerdier than 34% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!
On the other hand, Time Out Mumbai has come out with an entry on the Bombay Quiz Club, where they have called us geeks. Now, I am thinking.

Okay, I took the test:
i am a super geek
Not good, but not bad either.

Okay, after this, "Some factions maintain that "nerds" have both technical skills and social competence, whereas geeks display technical skills while socially incompetent; others hold an exactly reversed view, with geek serving as the socially competent counterpart of the socially incompetent nerd, and call themselves geeks with pride (compare Geekcorps, an organization that sends people with technical skills to developing countries to assist in computer infrastructure development). Another view is that "geeks" lack both social competency and technical skills. Arguably, a nerd is a more self-controlled sort of person, while a geek can be something of a loose cannon--or at least more awkward in an obstructive way than a nerd" and this, I am even more confused.

However, if this is true, "The unwritten geek credo states that originality and strangeness are good, and that blind conformity and stupidity are unforgivable", then I am with you (geeks). More on this after some thought.

Anyway, other stuff on nerds here and here! (Kidding, by the way)

Update: Falstaff sends me a post on 'geek pride' by mail. I am still not sure whether this is actually nerd pride.

3 Comments:

Blogger Achtlandia said...

took both. just for d heck of it...however...if u talk of the diff b/w d 2, in my opinion, nerds r the book guys, u knw, the ones that sit in front in class and wear sweater vests and glasses...geeks r more likely to be techies. a nerd will complete assignments on time and stay on top of schoolwork, but a geek will take apart his CPU just for the timepass value. both have similar levels of social incompetence, but what i am trying to say is
nerd:geek :: books+computers (basic to medium):solely computers (highly advanced)

and oh...my scores...neither a nerd (14), nor a geek (4.419%)... :-)

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:54:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Sigh...I took the test too...

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:49:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got 0% geek! I understand why I'd rather would hang out with my friends than study go figure.. It's me I am a good speller though.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:42:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers