I used to sit on the 21st floor. Now I am retired

Friday, February 10, 2006

Saat Samundar...

... or Seven Seas cod liver oil.

I remember the fourth floor house in Shyambazaar, with the mild breeze blowing in from the Howrah Bridge. I used to spend summers there.

Besides memories of luchi for breakfast and pantua and ledikeni for 'tiffin', I also remember the old table, with the cod liver oil capsules in it.

Soft, rubbery, squeezy, gelatinous... Hint of golden warm taste (nothing like it, though, when I once broke it and tried a drop).

Along with Boroline, Nycil, Cuticura and Waterbury's Compound, it occupied pride of place on many Bengali tables. The house is no more. From what I hear, so is Waterbury's compound. Parke Davis used to make it, I remember. It was aquired by Pfizer. Unfortunately, I couldn't trace the drink on the Pfizer website. No idea where it is now.

However, Seven Seas is going strong.

2 Comments:

Blogger GT said...

Looks like they still sell it down under.

pharmacy.jumbomall.com/product/744964-0

http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/atoz.php?pageNum=1&letter=W&

Saturday, February 11, 2006 10:45:00 PM

 
Blogger dhoomketu said...

Hey,
Am going to market tomorrow to find out in India as well. Pity, the Australians didn't have a reassuring photo of the black and red bottle..

Sunday, February 12, 2006 12:11:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers