I used to sit on the 21st floor. Now I am retired

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Diet Coke

The Girl just came in and told me that she's happy that I have given up on Diet Coke. I haven't, really. But, yes, over the last few weeks, I have been drinking less.

Diet Cokes have come under attack from various quarters, recently.
In India, there is the entire pesticides thing. Then there's the notion that if you have to depend on Diet Cokes to lose weight, then you are uncool and deserve to be obese.

Then, there is this allegation that carbonated drinks cause weak bones. Even a Harvard Medical School study says this, but they can't explain the reason for the same, except for making some guesses. I have also come across studies which say that it's actually the caffeine which is dangerous, thus coffee is far more harmful.

Anyway, while the world can keep debating such issues and while the Girl can continue to berate me for taking a few sips, a few fine folks have conclusively proved that Diet Coke is a fine thing. Please keep the supply going strong.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regular use of Coke over an extended period of time can damage the brain. Diet Coke? uh ... wait, you mean Coca Cola? oh, ok.

Dunbar.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 9:02:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should find said girls # 1 & 2 and 'make friends'...

http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/archives/007096.html

Girl #1: So if I get the Big Mac but get a Diet Coke, it won't matter, right?
Girl #2: Yeah, because the Diet Coke has like no calories, so it will be like just eating a hamburger without having anything to drink.
Girl #1: So I won't get fat?
Girl #2: No, totally not.

--McDonalds, 69th St, Overheard in New York, Sep 10, 2006

Monday, September 11, 2006 9:46:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers