I used to sit on the 21st floor. Now I am retired

Thursday, April 20, 2006

A lot of basketball

So, I won. My Yahoo Fantasy NBA league. This inspite of having a team which only boasted one All-Star: Dirk Nowitzki.

However, I made this up through frequent changes in my team. Inspired moves included - getting Boris Diaw before he became hot, dropping Ron Artest early but getting him back much before he started playing a stellar role on defence in Sacramento and spotting the late run of Chris Wilcox and Kwame Brown and riding with them. Also, Stephon Marbury and Alonzo Mourning contributed decently for my team and definitely deserved a higher ranking than what Yahoo Sports gave them. Plus, I got solid performances from Lamar Odom and Marcus Camby.

Stupid moves included dropping Bobby Simmons too early and not dropping Jason Williams and Udonis Haslem early enough. Also, I had a horrible team name.

All's well that ends well, though. I get a 1st place trophy to my name. It also is great fun to win against American and Chinese opponents. Some newspaper yesterday asked whether Indians have a moral right to follow World Cup football, since our team is ranked 117th in the world. This victory of mine, howsoever small and meaningless, is a tiny slap on such aspersions.

More such games, are at WhatIfSports.com. Interesting concept as it allows you to create your dream teams from players of all time and take part in simulated competitions. Sadly, it's restricted to American sports, but soon, I am sure, we'll see an Indian knock-off for cricket as well. Do check this out, in case you are wondering if the 1986-87 Lakers could have beaten the 1995-96 Bulls.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i don't know if you saw it..but nba.com ran 'best team ever' thing before the start of this season and i think the final winners were the '95-'96 bulls..

Friday, April 21, 2006 2:41:00 AM

 
Blogger dhoomketu said...

Saint, as far as I can see, the Boston Celtics of 1960s were always better regarded than the 90s Bulls. I would also make a case for the Showtime Lakers. Need to see the NBA.com bit though.

Rhea, thanks. First the Saint writes to me, and then you ask me to enlighten the world. Or was that for the Saint?

Friday, April 21, 2006 5:38:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers